Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Grandma Pearl Maxine Black Johnson Frost

This has been a really hard post for me to write, but I decided I needed to get it done anyway. A few weeks ago on August 31st my Grandma Johnson passed away in her sleep at the home of her daughter Gail in Farmington New Mexico. She was only 83 years old and it was very unexpected. And although it is really sad for all of us who are left behind to only have her in our memories it is really exciting for her to be able to be reunited with my Grandpa and my Uncle Carol and all of her other loved ones who have been waiting for her. My Grandma has always been one of my hero's, but since I've been married I've realized just how much I look up to her and how much I love getting advice from her. There's never been a time when I've asked her a question and thought "yeah right, she has no idea what she's talking about". I've always really respected what she has to say and try to follow the advice she gives me. She was always such a sweet Grandma and gave us anything we wanted. She always kept Coke and ice cream drumsticks on hand even though she didn't like it. She loved doing service for other's and loved working in the temple. I am so thankful for the gospel and Heavenly Father's plan and the knowledge we have. I'm really going to miss my Grandma and can't wait until I get to see her again.


Thanksgiving at Grandma's house in Monticello


Grandma, Uncle Carol, Aunt Gail, Grandpa and my Dad


Dodger and his Great Grandma


July 4th 2009, Dodger's 3 days old.


I love this picture of my Grandma. She hated pictures and it was like pulling teeth to get her to smile.


When my sister Amber came to stay with us after Dodger was born we went over to Monticello and asked my Grandma a whole bunch of questions about her life and her childhood. It was so much fun. We went out to lunch then went back to her house and just talked. Amber is going to make a book about her life so we can all have a copy.


2 of my favorite ladies


All the girls in the Johnson family (at that time)

My Grandmas funeral was on September 5th in Monticello. She was buried at the Eastland Cemetery next to the love of her life and eternal companion.

The handsome pallbearers




My Dad and Aunt Gail, the only 2 that are left.

6 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh Alicia, I am so sorry to hear this! It's never easy to lose a loved one. I am glad you were able to visit with her and hear her stories while she was still here. what a great memory! We'll see you tomorrow!

Kenny and Amber said...

What an awesome post, and a great tribute to a wonderful person. I LOVE the pictures, especially the ones with Dodger - so neat that she got to see him before she died. What do people do without the gospel?

Brittany said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandma. Sounds like she was a great lady! You have a lot of great memories of her though so that's great!

Andrea said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. Josh was very surprised when we read her obituary in the paper. She sounds like she was a great lady!

Clayton & Kim said...

I'm Sorry Alicia... But looks like she left a great legacy! (it also brought a tear to my eyes seeing those pictures of your mom, I miss her smile...)

Mal said...

So sorry to hear about this! But how great that you and your sister got to take her out to lunch and ask her all sorts of questions! Losing a loved one is hard, but knowing who they are reuniting with does make it a little bit easier!