Monday, August 23, 2010

Black Family Reunion - Avery Acres, Idaho

Every other year Andy's family goes on a big vacation together and since his parents were on their mission when we were supposed to go last time this was my first year being able to go. I was so excited! My SIL Kerry had recommended that we go to her grandma's cabin up in Idaho, and I don't think it took much convincing for everyone to be on board with the idea. From her description it sounded awesome and beautiful, and of course it was!

Andy and I actually arrived on Saturday, a day earlier than everyone else. Kerry's family was still having their reunion up there, but were nice enough to let us crash their party. We picked our camp site and set up our tent and spent the rest of the time relaxing.

Avery Acres... SO prettty!




Day 1 - Sunday:
While we waited for all of Andy's family to arrive we rode around on Kerry's brother's Segway. Dodger, of course, loved it.

Here he is crying because he had to get off.


It would get a little too hot in our tent for Dodger's afternoon nap, so we moved him to a nice shady spot in the trees. We had to cover the top of his crib so the bugs wouldn't eat him. He napped while I read a book, so peacful!


When everyone arrived, except for Jody and Jame's family because they had troubles along the way, Tony blessed the newest member of the Black family, his & Kerry's third child Levi Cable Black. It was such an awesome setting for a baby blessing. All of Kerry's and Tony's families were able to be there.

After the blessing we were treated to a great meal prepared by Kerry's family. When it was time to clean up Dodger found this nice pile of ice to play and sit in. Am I bad for letting him?

Day 2 - Monday:
After breakfast sandwhiches prepared by Kenny & Amber most of the girls and some of the boys did a few crafts. Suzie brought a whole bunch of beads and Andy's mom had brought home some seashells from Africa so we made necklaces, and Andy helped the boys make a leather knife holder complete with a pocket knife. I think we only ended up with one incident with the knifes, which isn't too bad with a lot of little boys running around.








After crafts we all went to Heise Hot Springs to go swimming. I took my camera but left it in the car, so you'll have to wait until I get some from Suzie. But, it was so fun swimming. There was a big water slide that Andy would take Dodger down and he loved it. I went down it too, but I didn't dare try to take Dodger AND my big belly, so I left that part up to Andy.

When we got back to camp and after dinner from Jody and James, we had an ice cream making contest. Andy and I made raspberry reese's, Francoms made vanilla, Mom & Dad made strawberry, and Steve & Shauna made blueberry cheescake. They all turned out so yummy, but I think in the end good 'ol vanilla ended up winning.





During the ice cream making fun, Dodger decided he wanted to dance on the table. I love the look on his face.


This picture may come back to haunt them someday, but for now I think it's so cute and funny. Stetson was giving Dodger kisses on the cheek and then all of a sudden Dodger turned and I think they both got more than they had bargained for.


That night we sat around the campfire and sang songs and ate marshmollows & ice cream.


Andy with sweet baby Levi



Day 3 - Tuesday:
After breakfast from Dave and Marlene we had more craft time! This time we made the cutest notebooks. Suzie again was the master mind behind these and brought all of her supplies.


While the girls made the books Andy played with the kids and did the dishes.


Stetson & Dodger trying out our new pull behind trailer.


After craft time we all headed out to Ririe Reservoir to go boating. Jody & James, and Dave & Marlene brought their boats so we could go skiing and tubing out on the lake. Even Andy's Dad was water skiing, but we missed it.

Dodger started out happy.



Grandpa, Macy, & Dodger


Macy & Garrett


Aunt Jody took Dodger out on the tube


but as you can see he didn't like it.


This is how we left, with him not being too excited about the lake anymore.

Andy and I had to hurry back to camp because we were in charge of dinner that night. We made dutch oven potatoes and BBQ chicken, very yummy! After dinner grandma had planned a big program with all of the grandkids. It was so cute, they sang songs, did skits, and danced. She & Brielle had been practicing with them for months and it turned out so fun!


Dodger decided he wanted to steal the show and dance all by himself. The boy has rhythm!





At one point Dodger got too close the edge and fell off. After a little loving from Mom he was OK, and back in the program.



Day 4 - Wednesday:
Our last and final day of the reunion. Francom's were in charge of breakfast, and then we had a tug-of-war, which by the way my team won! After the tug-of-war grandma got out a whole bunch of loot and we all played bingo and packed up our things to head for home.

Suzie and Levi





The Loot! I ended up winning a statue for me, a tie for Andy and a toy for Dodger, all of which was handmade in Africa.


Dodger thought he was pretty big to sit here with Steve and play in the rocks.


Andy packed up all of our stuff so we were ready to head out as soon as lunch was over. Steve & Shauna made burgers & hot dogs, then we said our good bye's and headed for home! We stopped at Jeff & Chelsa's for a few minutes, did a little Sam's Club shopping and then hit the rode. We pulled into our house at about 2 AM. We had so much fun, I can't wait for the next one! However after sleeping on an air matress and being very pregnant I was really excited for my own bed. Dodger apparently was too because for the next few days he slept in until about 10 AM everyday.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh I love all the pictures you took! I was such a space cadet and didn't get very many pictures. I am bummed I didn't get some, so I am glad you have some of Andy and Suzie with Levi. I might have to swipe them from your blog!

Kenny and Amber said...

Cute pictures! I love the one of Stetson and Dodger kissing - I must have missed that. . .