
Last weekend ALL of Andy’s family came to Blanding to help with the Round-Up. This is when Kenny moves his cows up to the Bear’s Ears from the winter range. It’s so much fun to have everyone get together, and to see all the cousins playing. Except of course, Mom & Dad weren’t there and we missed them so much this time. It’s just not the same without them. We all went out on Friday and got camp set up and organized.

Then we just ate dinner, made smores and hung out.

Later that night Andy & I played night games with all of the older nieces and nephews, and it was so much fun! I haven’t played night games forever!

Since Mom wasn’t here to cook and prepare all the meals, each family took a turn cooking a different meal. This worked really well, plus we got to try everyone’s good home cookin’. The actual moving of the cows wasn’t until Monday this year so all weekend was just a good relaxing vacation. Everyone went in on Saturday night for church, except for Andy and I, (I know, I know, were heathens!) we just stayed and hung out together. We made enchiladas in the dutch oven which turned out to be really good, and then we made peach cobbler for dessert. We took our mitts and played catch and went on a motorcycle ride to the Arch Canyon overlook, and took a very long needed nap!


I had so much fun just being in the mountains and enjoying life with my one and only.

Then everyone came back out Sunday night, and we woke up bright and early Monday morning to saddle horses. The actually horse ride took about 3 hours. It was really hot and buggy, but so much fun! We gathered all the cows we could find and then moved them across the road so they could start moving up the mountain.
We didn’t brand the calves until the next weekend, so not all of the family could be there to help. But it was still a lot of fun. This is actually my favorite part of it all. I love to be able to help brand. My job is usually to put the ear tags in, although I did get to sit on a few calves this year (very scary!)

Andy is always on a horse roping the calves to drag them in or he's helping throw the calves down and brand them.


Andy, Taylor, Jared and I all rode motorcycles out to the Bear’s Ears on Friday after work. It was a pretty long ride, but definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Then Saturday after we finished branding and had some lunch, Andy and I hopped back on our bikes and cruised home. This is the way to travel! We got home and checked our gas mileage, I ended up getting 120 MPG on my bike and Andy got like 60. It only cost us 6 bucks to ride out there and back.
I look forward to this weekend every year! I’m so happy that Kenny & Amber let us all come and help. Thanks guys!!

Tony, Logan & Avery out for a ride.

Ruby's Sunday nap, she is always so tired after she chases cows all day.

Me & Brielle by the campfire

Suzie and Stetson waiting for dinner

Me sitting on a calf

Amber and Stetson

That's my boy!

Taylor, Brooke Derr (Dad's mission buddy) and me finishing up a calf.

The Reason we do what we do.
11 comments:
Sounds like a busy and exciting weekend! I do have a question though-- had you ever branded cows before you married Andy?? I learn so much about being a cowboy/cowgirl when I read your blog. Once upon a time I did own cowboy boots and a hat though!:)
How much fun! Camping is the best huh. Were you there when we were branding cows and I was holding one down (a cute little white one) and it kicked me, and I now have a scar on my hand? I don't remember who else was there, but I know Andy and Logan were. I'm excited for the 4th next week. We have got to meet up!
Fun!! I love getting together with family and rustlin' up some cows! We have to do that too every year and it's fun, I didn't get to go last year or this year because both times I was gone, I was pretty sad. All well! I'm proud of you for sitting on a calf, they can really throw themselves if they want. scary!
Leece I had no idea that you were such a cowgirl!!! I love it! Good work on gettin those cows branded. I love camping too, it sounded like so much fun. sweet.
Leece you're a freakin cowgirl!!! I did not know that was Brielle in that picture! She looks so old. K so can't wait for the 4th! We will see you there (its been a long time leece)
Hi Alicia this is Christina Cosby Willardson...I found your blog and had so much fun reading it! Our blog is dcwillardson.blogspot.com What a fun weekend!! I love the Black family! They are some of my favorite people in the world! Tell Andy hi for me!
Alicia you are such a well rounded person! I can't believe all the skills you have. What a woman! There is no way I could even touch the cows.
Alicia, it's so good to hear from you. I didn't think anyone really knew about our blog. I'm glad you were able to find it. Your blog is so dang cute. Hopefully mine will be one of these days once I get it figured out. It looks like you guys had a great time in the outdoors. Yeah, we're going to be having a baby pretty soon. We're both way excited. I'm excited to get this baby out! I don't know why people say being pregnant is fun because I definitely don't think it is. I didn't know that you guys were back in Blanding. I bet its nice to be close to friends and family. Well, I'll try to keep my blog updated more often and I'll check up on yours more often too. Hope to hear from you again soon!
Great pictures - you took way more than me! I just don't take as many now that I have mom responsibilies to attend to. Thanks so much for all your help!
HEY ALICIA! I had no idea you were such a cow girl... IMPRESSVE for sure!! Glad you found our blog, let us know next time you are up north we should get together and all go out for ice cream or something. Hope you are doing well..
derrik
Hey Alicia! I love your blog! You are the woman! That is so cool that you help with the cows, and you and Andy are just such a fun couple!!! You and Andy both have awesome families too!!! I love your blog!!!!!
Post a Comment