Thursday, February 25, 2010

What do I do?


What do I do when my little boy wakes up every morning at 5:30, pretty much on the dot?!? I don’t know how to break him of this habit. It doesn’t matter what time I put him to bed, whether it’s at 8:30 or 10:30, he still wakes up at the same time every morning. Plus he wakes up crying. He’s so tired that he usually goes back to sleep at about 7 and sleeps for a few hours. So I know he needs more sleep, but I just don’t know how to make him sleep in longer. I’ve tried just letting him cry it out, but by the time it’s time for me to get up and get ready he has seen my light and knows I’m there so he will just scream until I go get him and feed him. What’s a very tired mom to do?

9 comments:

tara said...

Sweetie, I can't lie--Do you know how dang GRATEFUL/ECSTATIC/HAPPY I would have been to have a baby that slept until 5:30?!! Nate was my best sleeper and he still only slept about 6 hours at a time until he was well over a year. My girls well all sleeping hours combined I'm not sure they slept 6 hours their first year. LOL Anyway I've got no answers, but it doesn't matter we still love them.

Mal said...

I would have to agree with the person above. My kids are horrible sleepers, so I have no ideas for you. Hopefully he will just grow out of it for you!

Janice Twitchell said...

Kagen is doing the same thing off and on right now. It seems like he does this when I feed him dinner earlier and then wait to put him to bed so he's not as full. So usually my nighttime routine with him is feed him dinner (rice cereal and veggies) around 7. Bath around 7:30 and bed right after that which is about 8. When I do this faithfully he sleeps until about 6:00 or 6:30 eats and sleeps until about 8:00 or 8:30. the only reason I can think is that he is going to bed with a full tummy and if you stick with the schedule, they develop that habit. One thing I know is that my kids thrive on schedules. And when stuck to they sleep great...all night. I know every kid is different, (Cambri was a much worse sleeper, but I've learned since then-& he might just be a kid that needs less sleep-who knows?) but it's worth giving it a try. I know I'd try anything to get my 8 hours of straight sleep. otherwise, I'm groucherama. anyway, I hope that he starts sleeping for you. Good luck.

Chey said...

Janice's comments are good. Schedules are great. I'm confused as to why he sees your lights. Shut his door at night, let him cry at 5:30 and hope it works.

DuncanAndCandice said...

I have learned that what ever you do don't break his schedule (like waking him up in the middle of the night to feed) Duncan thought I should so I could get a few extra hours of sleep in the morning it didn't work and it messed everything up we went for five nights with him waking up and wanting me to feed him around that time... I would slowly let my little guy cry a half an hour then give in and slowly let it go a little longer each night. that worked for me and we make it till seven now. I hope you find something that works and you start to get some good sleep...

Hickmans said...

Im not a pro..I only have one but I have to agree that Im a Crazy Schedule mom and Hallie is an excellent sleeper. We have a routine at night that helps..So I would say maybe to set a schedule and stick too! I hope that helps I remember the days of no sleep and oneryness in the morning..if thats even a word!

Kenny and Amber said...

Count your blessings! At least he goes to sleep before 11:30, and doesn't wake up at 4:30! Plus. . . you know how hard it is to get my sweet boy to sleep. And, as far as waking up crying, I think they just all go through stages - things will get better!

LindseyFae* said...

I don't want you to hate me, but my kids love sleep. Sometimes it's a problem how much they want to sleep.. then I sleep in. But.. when we travel it totally throws off Bauer and I've learned what helps him is sleeping with a fan or some other white noise. It always helps my kiddos if their little bellies are full. I'm also a lazy parent.. what if you leave him in the bed and just prop a bottle in his mouth.. I don't know. Good luck, girlie! From that picture you posted, I can't imagine he ever screams!

The Nielson Family said...

Some babies are early raisers, because McKay wakes up every morning between 5:30-6:00 am every morning.(He gets that from his daddy!) And we have tried putting him to bed later too. He just wakes up earlier. McKay wants to go to bed at 8:00 pm. His new thing is he wakes up, we feed him and then we try putting him back down, sometimes it works. This morning he went back to bed until 8am. It's really nice when Michael gets up and feeds him for me too. It might get better the older he gets. And it’s hard letting them cry it out. Good luck!!