Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Potty Training


Even though Dodger is only 26 months old, I decided that he is well past smart enough to be potty trained. He would tell me when he was poopy or when he was peeing, and then come and ask me to change him. So on Monday (August 29th) we dove in full force and started potty training. Let me just say that he is doing AWESOME!!! I'm so proud of him. He hasn't had any pee accidents since his first day and even wakes up from his naps dry. I don't even put him in a pull-up for naps anymore. He has woken up from the night dry a few times but I still put him in a pull-up because most of the time he's not dry. More for my information than yours, here is how our first week of training went:

Day 1: He had 2 pee accidents before his nap at one. Woke up from his nap dry. Told me that he had a poop accident right when it happened. No accidents in the evening.

Day 2: He had 3 poop accidents this day, which was not good. No pee accidents

Day 3: Went poop on the potty. No accidents all day!

Day 4: Woke up from the night and nap dry. Had 1 poop accident

Day 5: He told me he needed to poop and so we ran to the toilet and he went. No pee accidents, woke up from his nap dry.

Day 6: He did have a poop accident this day, but I don't really think it counts. We were up at Devil's Canyon helping with Andy's parents cabin and so there weren't toilets close by and he was off playing. But he was so good besides this and didn't have any pee accidents.

Day 7: Told me he needed to poop and he really went. Had 1 poop accident in the evening.

We still have a little ways to go with the number 2 business, but from what I've heard that is really normal. Even since these days he's done better and has only had I think 1 accident.

I've tried to make it really fun for him. I made a Good Job Potty Chart and I let him put a sticker on it every time he goes potty.


I also bought a bunch of candy and fun toys and made him a pee bucket and a poop bucket. Depending on what he does he gets to pick something out of the bucket. We've eaten a lot of candy in the last few days, but I figure it's totally worth it!



*update: He's doing SO SO SO good! He's been "trained" now for almost 3 weeks and is getting better at it everyday. YAY!!

7 comments:

Francom Family said...

Alicia! That is really great! I bet you are so happy you are done with training. I have to say a treat from the pee or poop bucket doesn't sound appealing to me;).

Jens and Patricia said...

That is so awesome! Great job on the training, it will be so nice to not have to buy two sets of diapers anymore. That was seriously the worst when we had to do that!

Chey said...

Yeah! So glad you did it. It changes our lives for the better.

Janice Twitchell said...

so glad your potty training experience has been going well! way to go dodger!

Mal said...

Good job Dodger! I wish Trace was ready, unfortunately I think it might be awhile! Sounds like Dodger is going to have it down pat very quickly! Oh and I have been craving a sno cone from you guys, they were so good!

Kenny and Amber said...

Way to go Dodger! And way to go mom - I'm afraid this is one aspect of motherhood that I have failed at miserably. Good Job!

Hadley's said...

We keep wondering if Lottie is ready for potty training? She is only 21 months but she tells me when she does any business in her diaper. and we bought her a potty and she always sits on it and says potty. I don't know if it is just too soon though? Looks like you guys are doing great with it!