Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dodger's Big Accident

Andy decided to finally finish the siding on the garage, and had recruited his dad to help him put it up.  They were out working on it one Friday afternoon, and of course the boys were out helping.  I was inside cleaning the house, when I heard Dodger start crying really hard.  I ran outside to see what was wrong, when I almost ran into Andy's Dad who had blood all over his hand.  I just remember asking him if it was his blood or Dodger's, and before he could answer I ran over to where Andy was holding a screaming Dodger.  I only saw him for a split second before Andy said "we're going to the hospital, go in and get me a wet rag" and ran and got in the truck.  I still wasn't sure what had happened or how bad it was, or anything!  But I ran inside and got the rag and Andy's dad told me he would stay with the kids so I could go with Andy, but Andy wanted me to stay with the kids and have his dad take him in.  I'm not sure why.  But I stayed home, still not quite sure what had happened, except that when I looked at Dodger his whole face around his right eye was covered in blood and his eye was completely swollen shut.  For all I knew he had lost his eye.  I was a MESS!!!  Andy's mom was coming over to teach me how to make chili beans, so when she got there I told her what happened and of course started crying, so she told me she would stay with the kids and for me to get in to the hospital.  I was so relieved to be able to go and be with Dodger.  When I was finally able to talk to Andy about what happened when the Dr. went out of the room he said that he had asked Dodger to bring him a screw that had fallen on the ground, and after Dodger had given him the screw and was climbing back down the ladder Andy's drill fell out of his tool belt and hit Dodger in the face.  Dodger must have looked up at just the right moment for it to happen.  Somehow, it missed his eye and hit right below it.  Somehow, it didn't break any bones.  And somehow, WE made it through it!!! 

We ended up having Russel Pincock for the Dr.  and he did such a good job stitching up his eye.  Now that the stitches are gone and and it's healed you can barely see a scar there at all.  Plus it helped that Dodger was such a good little boy and held still the whole time they were stitching him up.  If he would have been squirmy and trying to get away, I don't think the scar would have been so evenly lined up, and it would have looked a lot worse.  So I'm so thankful for that because it is right in the middle of his face.  I was so surprised at how fast he healed.  It seems like it was almost all better in just about 2 weeks.  The swelling was so bad when we first took him in that we had to come back the next day to make sure nothing was broken.  Luckily nothing was broken in his face, or it could have changed the way his cute face looks.  They told me the best thing to do after the stitches came out for scaring was to make sure and keep sunscreen on it for up to 6 months.  So we have been lathering up this summer for sure. He is so handsome, I'm just so thankful he is OK. 

Of course his daddy felt awful, so that night after things had calmed down got to go into the store with his dad and buy all kinds of prizes.  He was even nice enough to get one of ALMOST everything he got for Bronx too.  He's such a kind hearted friend.

I tried to take pictures along the way to show the healing of his eye.  The first ones are the same day after he is home from the clinic.  You can tell because his shirt is still covered in blood.  He mostly just wanted his dad to change the dressing on it and put on medicine.  So Andy would have to come home from work to do it somedays. When it was time for stitches to come out, Andy just took them out at home, to save a trip to the Dr.  The last picture is right after we took the stitches out.  I was so impressed with how good it looked!!















No comments: