Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Our House

I think it’s time to share a little on the progress of our house.


Back at the first of the summer Andy broke ground and started digging out our basement. Then life happened and we got really busy and that is about as far as we got until September. On September 4th our brother in law Steve F. and our nephew Taylor came over and with the help of a lot of big equipment we got our hole mostly dug. It was so exciting to be able to see some progress. We worked really hard to be able to get our footers poured before we went to Mexico. The night before the cement truck came we were out in the rain until about 9:30, with flood lights finishing tying up the rebar. But we got it done!


Andy pushing dirt on the CAT


Taylor on the Back Hoe with the white top, Steve F. on the Back Hoe with the black top, Andy on the CAT.


Taylor digging out the North side of our basement.


Steve F. clearing out the basement.


Andy pushing dirt, this kinda scares me :)


Steve B. came and helped us get the footers ready.

On September 11th we poured our first round of footers. Steve F. came and helped Andy pour the cement. It went really good. Suzie even showed up with cookies for the guys, and then she helped smooth the tops of the footers. I don’t know what we would do without the Francom’s to help us! This was a very exciting day! You can finally see the shape of our house! Of course I got footer blues and I think it looks really small, but everyone assures me that I just can’t see it yet, and not to worry.


A little last minute preperation before the truck comes.




The first drops of the first cement being poured for our house! YAY!!!




They are pouring the footer four our basement. We actually formed this one up wrong, and had to pour a little more on it the next pour.






Studying the plans.


This will be the walk out basement that will have a garage to Andy's shop that is going to be in the basement.




Suzie and Trace came to help.


View from the front. This is obviously before the cement truck came.

Our location where we decided to build is really pretty. On our front porch you can see Blue Mountain, and off of our back porch and to the East you can see Sleeping Ute. Our house will have a full covered porch all across the front that also wraps around the sides a little ways, and a full covered porch that goes the full length of the back with an uncovered patio that extends out a little farther. I think so far this is my favorite feature of the house, I can’t wait!

13 comments:

Cheyn said...

LEece!!! Congrats on house that is exciting!

Kerry said...

How exciting!You guys are really working hard!

I have to admit I feel like an idiot. I was reading the caption on the picture of the guys on the backhoes and the CAT, and I was so confused because you were saying there is Steve F. in the backhoe with the black top, and Taylor in the backhoe with the white top, and I kept looking to see the colors of their shirts and could only see a red shirt, and couldn't figure out how I was supposed to know which one was who since I couldn't see their shirts! Then I got it. I am retarded. Don't laugh too hard at me, ok?

Brittany said...

That's exciting! You guys are going to save a ton of money by building it yourselves! My in-laws did that and their house is completely paid for and they've lived in it for about 3 years. It's beautiful too! It sounds like your house is going to be beautiful too!

LindseyFae* said...

That's amazing that you guys are building your own home..seriously. I can't wait to see it when it's done!

Jeanine said...

YEAH!!! I know the footer blues story! It was so hard to imagine that the house goes to the edge and not the inside too. I am so excited for you guys!

Janice Twitchell said...

Yeah Leece! You're house is huge! It was also hard for me to imagine how big my house would be with the footers, but it really puts it into perspective once the walls go up. So smart to build it yourselves. You will save so much money!

Ham, Dan and Kaylie said...

I'm so excited for you! I Totally remember pouring footers. It will all come together soon and you'll be living in an awesome house!

jackster said...

Yay Leece! I've been wondering how its been coming! I'm so excited for you guys, it will be great. We might be coming down this weekend, I'm not sure yet, but if so we'll have to come check it out!

Kenny and Amber said...

You got some great pictures! How sad is it that I haven't even been by to see the progress. It looks great! I am so excited for you guys!

Mal said...

That is so dang exciting! I love wrap around porches, that is like my dream to have that, it will look so awesome!

Andrea said...

ha ha ha I'm glad you're a Panda lover too, Scott does the same thing! He'll say, "If I can pick the movie you can have Panda." and I do it! That is so funny about him eating your leftovers, I'd kill Scott.

lcdiaz said...

Congrats on the house!! It sounds like its going to be awesome. So exciting!!!

Andrea said...

Oh I've been meaning to tell you.....Scott told me a story of how he told you that him and I used to always "meet" in room 302 at SUU. NOT TRUE! He was totally lying, I can't believe he never told you it was a joke. Anyways, if you don't remember what I'm talking about, sorry! But if you do it was worth setting the record straight.